English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What would be an appropriate word for updating one single square in a grid/matrix, e.g. in a game of Tetris?
What are those squares called?

I was hoping for something like "Update square."

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

How about Updating Cell or Updating Unit?

share|improve this answer

Each individual part of a matrix is called an element. Pixel can work fine, if you feel like using an analogy with an image (pixel was initially short for picture element).

share|improve this answer

I have always heard these terms used:

  • an element of an array,
  • an entry (or an element) of a matrix,
  • a cell of a grid.

P.S. The following is not really a language issue, but if you're doing image processing, you should be aware that A Pixel is Not a Little Square!

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.