English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I can describe "IMHO" as an acronym for "in my humble opinion." How can I describe the reverse processes of translating the acronym into the actual phrase? That is to say, if "IMHO" is the acronym, what do we call "in my humble opinion"?

share|improve this question
Err, a "full form"? Yes I know it's two words, can't think of any. – LocustHorde May 3 '11 at 17:25
IMHO is not an acronym, unless it is pronounced as if it were a word (i.e. like "im-ho", not "Eye Em Haitch Owe"). Just FYI. – Marcin May 3 '11 at 17:44
@Marcin: That's definitely true, technically speaking. However, many (if not most) people seem to use acronym for both acronyms and initialisms, such that it is getting harder and harder to argue that the distinction holds anymore. – Kosmonaut May 3 '11 at 19:29
Especially since initialism is such a horrible word to say. – Matt E. Эллен May 4 '11 at 14:00
There have been many goods answers to this similar question. – Luc Touraille Jun 26 '12 at 13:47
up vote 11 down vote accepted

The spelled-out form of an acronym or initialism (that is, "what it stands for") is called its expansion.


share|improve this answer
Yup, definitely "expansion". – SamB May 4 '11 at 4:47

I think you might have answered your own question: definition is probably the best word, though expansion could also work (because an acronym is a type of abbreviation).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.