English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a single word or short phrase to describe someone who treats women like objects?
Is there a similar word/phrase for who objectifies other people in general?

share|improve this question
Jackie Treehorn. – RegDwigнt May 2 '11 at 21:25
An 'objectifier' in general would probably best be called a psychopath. Autist if you wanted to downplay the negativity a bit, but that's not a word with any real currency. But you'll be swamped by Answers focusing on satyriasis and its associated lack of consideration for women, rather than the inability to recognise other people as sentient beings with 'rights'. – FumbleFingers May 2 '11 at 23:49
@Fumble: Autist probably isn't appropriate here. I don't think the OP is looking for a diagnoses. – MrHen May 3 '11 at 3:13
up vote 4 down vote accepted

some thoughts:
(male) chauvinist

None really encompasses the objectification of women, but they all kind of get at the idea.

share|improve this answer
I had considered "misogynist," but the character in question does not hate women, per se; quite the opposite, in fact. – Maxpm May 2 '11 at 21:09

Objectifier fits your second question. Add "of women" if that's short enough to answer the first.

I've heard womanizer used that way as well, although it's not exactly the same as the formal definition.

share|improve this answer
To add to this, objectification is the appropriate technical term with strong similarities with dehumanization. – MrHen May 3 '11 at 3:16

There are a number of words that come to mind to describe someone who objectifies women, but there are so many nuanced responses that it is hard to pin down just one. Here are a few that come to mind, many of the definitions contain other possible words to describe an objectifier:

For the kind of person that objectifies women "for amorous sport," these apply:

Don Juan

a ladies' man; womanizer.


a man with a reputation for having many amorous adventures; rake.

Along the same lines: libertine, rake

If the person eying the other is doing so from afar, then ogler could work:

one who looks at amorously, flirtatiously, or impertinently.

all definitions are from Random House

share|improve this answer

How about Hetaerism / Hetaerist?

From The Free Dictionary:

hetaerism, hetairism

  1. the practice of concubinage.

  2. a social system characterized by its regarding women as common property.

    — hetaerist, hetairist, n. — hetaeristic, hetairistic, adj.

From Wikipedia:

Hetaerism or hetairism can mean:

... Women were the common property of their tribe, and the children never knew their fathers. Sometimes known as "primitive promiscuity"

share|improve this answer
I assume the reason for this answer being marked down is that the words you have suggested do not appear in more official dictionaries (OED for example). It is a development of the term 'hetaera', which refers to the women in question. While that is valid grounds for dismissing this answer, it's a shame because if they were words, I think they would answer this question quite well. – Karl May 3 '11 at 3:15

protected by tchrist Dec 13 '14 at 17:49

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.