English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a term for those half-cocked hats with large flower-like embellishments British high society seems to favor? I'm seeing quite a lot of them watching a live stream of the Royal Wedding, and would like to call them by their proper name.

share|improve this question
Someone has been watching too much wedding coverage? – F'x Apr 29 '11 at 10:47
@F'x I watched it for the officers and the vestments and the history, not to indulge in gawking at the Royals... ;) – Uticensis Apr 29 '11 at 10:50
And by history I mean the ecclesiastical and mediaeval birthed historical traditions, not the need that some feel to be "part" of the Wedding... – Uticensis Apr 29 '11 at 10:58
Wedding? What wedding? – Mitch Apr 29 '11 at 11:34
up vote 3 down vote accepted

You mean the Cocktail Hats?


Then maybe:

The list is taken from here.

share|improve this answer
Those look similar, but these have quite a wider brim... – Uticensis Apr 29 '11 at 10:41
@Billare: I added 3 more and the source, have fun! (I didn't know those names myself, you never stop learning eh) :D – Alenanno Apr 29 '11 at 10:48
Tha fancy flowery things alone are called "Fascinators", though I don't know if "Fascinator hats" is valid – JoseK Apr 29 '11 at 11:09
Google search for Fascinators – Grant Thomas Apr 29 '11 at 11:31
Thanks for the contribution JoseK... I guess it exists. :D – Alenanno Apr 29 '11 at 11:33

I think you could call them Derby Hats (although this is also a synonym for bowler hat when applied to men).

Depending on which side of the pond you stand, that could mean either

share|improve this answer

try millinery

Articles, especially women's hats, sold by a milliner.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.