English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A colleague just asked about comparing values "case sensitively". I see those words together on technical sites, but nowhere else. I myself see no problem with the phrase, though it sounds a bit awkward. Is there a better single-word substitute for "in a case-sensitive fashion"?

share|improve this question
I would rather talk about "case-sensitive comparison", "case sensitively" sounds odd to me. – nico Apr 28 '11 at 13:38
@nico: They are both nice in my opinion. You are comparing two different usages, since case-sensitive acts as an adjective, case-sensitively as an adverb. – Alenanno Apr 28 '11 at 13:40
@Alenanno: I know, I was just saying that the adverb sounds a bit odd to me, so I would rather use the adjective. It was just a personal preference, nothing more. – nico Apr 28 '11 at 14:01
up vote 5 down vote accepted

The word case-sensitively may be rare outside of technical sites, because the concept is little needed anywhere else. However, it's built out of normal, productive English morphological rules, so it's perfectly licit. I don't believe that there is any other terse alternative.

share|improve this answer
Yeah, I guess it's too technical and "new" to have actual synonyms. – Alenanno Apr 28 '11 at 13:41

The term I've seen most often is "case sensitivity." Ergo:

  • "A colleague asked me about comparing values in a case-sensitive manner."

This leads naturally to:

  • "A colleague asked me about comparing case-sensitive values."

Trying to force the construction into an adverb leads to unhappy results.

share|improve this answer
No it doesn't. Requiring a longer paraphrase leads to unhappy results. – Colin Fine Apr 28 '11 at 16:57
In this context, "happy" and "unhappy" are linguistic terms. They don't mean quite the same thing as emotionally happy or sad. – The Raven Apr 28 '11 at 19:36
No, they're not linguistic terms: they are evaluative terms on some unspecified scale. (I agree that they don't refer to emotional states). You prefer to avoid the neologism by a longer paraphrase; I see nothing wrong with the neologism and may often prefer it to a longer paraphrase. Your last paraphrase has changed the meaning (though I suppose that since "case-sensitive values" is nonsense, pragmatically it will be interpreted in the same way). – Colin Fine Apr 29 '11 at 12:09
"Speech Acts" by John Searle and "How to Do Things with Words" by Austin both make use of the specialized sense of "happy" and "unhappy" with respect to meaning and construction. "Case-sensitive values" would be fields that are affected by upper and lower case inputs, which are common in, say, databases. – The Raven Apr 29 '11 at 16:08
@Raven: thanks, I didn't know about Searle & Austin's special uses of those words. I agree that pragmatically "case-sensitive values" would be understood that way, but being picky I would say it is the field not the value that is case-sensitive. A value can no more be case-sensitive than it can be sorted. – Colin Fine May 1 '11 at 22:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.