English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the antonym of the adjective "sample" (example/specimen) besides "whole"? I'd like to replace "non-sample" in the following sentence:

I saved my sample code but accidentally deleted my non-sample project.

share|improve this question
Not exactly an English thing, but... how many people on this site can program? – compman Apr 27 '11 at 2:48
@user7834 program a VCR? ;) – Paul Amerigo Pajo Apr 27 '11 at 17:49
@compman: I'd say, in reference to the Shapiro-Wharf hypothesis, all of us :D – Matt E. Эллен May 4 '11 at 13:16
@Matt: I'm not following. – compman May 4 '11 at 17:58
@compman: Well, if you take programming to mean influencing people's behaviour, since all software developers do is influence the behaviour of computers, and since the Shapiro-Whorf hypothesis states that language influence thought, we can all programme each other. – Matt E. Эллен May 4 '11 at 18:08
up vote 3 down vote accepted

In a similar context, I would tend to use actual or real:

I saved my example code but accidentally deleted my real code.
I saved my sample code but accidentally deleted my actual code.

These contrast well with example, sample, mock, or pseudo-, but sound best when you're expressing that contrast on a particular noun (sample code…actual code); it sounds awkward if the distinction isn't stressed (sample code…actual project).

share|improve this answer

What about entire? Or finished? Perhaps it depends on what you want to express.

share|improve this answer
I have two types of code: sample and non-sample, where the sample code does not have to be a subset of the non-sample code. "finished" might be closer to what I'm looking for. – tony19 Apr 27 '11 at 1:47

The code used in actual products is often called “production code.”

share|improve this answer

maybe you are looking for test vs. control groups? or experimental sample vs. control sample?

An experiment which uses controls is called a "controlled experiment", and usually separates research subjects into two groups: an experimental group and a control group. The control group is practically identical to the experimental group, although the experimental group is changed according to some key variable of interest, while the control group remains constant during the experiment. Each field develops their own specific, important controls.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.