English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was recently given a nondisclosure agreement to sign. On the form it stated that the company may seek "injective relief" as needed in order to enforce the agreement. Now, I'm quite familiar with the concept of "injunctive relief." Googling around I did find quite a few places where "injective relief" is used, but I couldn't find anything that looked like a proper legal definition for it. (Also it's waaaaay less common than "injunctive relief".)

So I ask those who may have better google-fu or more in-depth legalese knowledge, is this just a misspelling on the company's part, or can they shoot me up with truth serum if the need arises?

share|improve this question
Unless you're considering a shot of morphine, there is no injective relief in contract law. – user8356 Jul 25 '14 at 18:28
My father was an attorney, and I can recall several malapropisms in the documents he worked with, including the use of "antinuptial agreement" when "antenuptial agreement" was intended. Surprisingly, attorneys are, as a rule, not terribly careful with the language, and it is incredibly common for such an error to be copied from one document to another to another (even before the computer era). – Hot Licks Mar 22 at 21:38
up vote 4 down vote accepted

This is almost certainly a typo that has propagated wildly, probably thanks to a popular word processing spell-checker. I have never heard of injective relief. Also, most NDA forms you'll ever see are funny little mashups, often used by small companies who simply assume they're legally accurate and binding.

share|improve this answer

protected by tchrist Jul 25 '14 at 19:22

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.