English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to know correct word for a "line of ink spread sideways."

share|improve this question
I'm not sure that there's actually a single word that encapsulates that phrase. – Brian Driscoll Apr 19 '11 at 13:33
I think you're going to have to be more descriptive. You might be talking about bleed or stroke or flare ... – Robusto Apr 19 '11 at 13:43
smudge also works. – Jimi Oke Apr 19 '11 at 13:59
schmersh ?? I'm not even sure how it's spelled. – Dan Apr 19 '11 at 15:26
Don't you just hate hit-and-run questions? – MT_Head Jun 26 '11 at 18:58

Do you mean an accidental smear? Or perhaps a calligraphic thick stroke?

share|improve this answer
+1 for smear. Similarly, blot, smudge, daub, smirch. – HaL Apr 19 '11 at 13:58

Downstroke is a word that indicates a line going downward. Is sidestroke a word for one going sideways?

It is not clear whether "spread sideways" is due to runny ink or to the direction of the stroke.

share|improve this answer
I interpreted as a line that's smeared perpendicularly or obliquely to the line. – sibbaldiopsis Apr 21 '11 at 23:11

You could use the word "skein" figuratively.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.