English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the adjective form of the word adjective? I wanted to say something like adjectivial but that's not a word.

share|improve this question
up vote 17 down vote accepted

The word you are looking for is adjectival.

share|improve this answer
Excellent, thank you! – Web_Designer Apr 19 '11 at 3:42
Do you know of a website where I can look up different forms of words? – Web_Designer Apr 19 '11 at 3:43
@inquisitive_web_developer: Dictionary.com often gives "related forms", and there is a list on the left where you can see the word in question in a list of its alphabetical neighbours; usually the two of them will come up with the word you need. In this case you will find "adjectival" in the alphabetical list. dictionary.reference.com/browse/adjective – Cerberus Apr 19 '11 at 11:53

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.