English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What word means "someone who ignores their own emotion in the face of their pain"? (Does it start with C?)

share|improve this question
up vote 17 down vote accepted

The word stoic comes to mind:

stoic |ˈstō-ik| noun 1 a person who can endure pain or hardship without showing their feelings or complaining.

[From NOAD]

share|improve this answer

Perhaps you are looking for composed.

There's also:

  • Dispassionate
  • Staid
  • Poised
  • Stoic
share|improve this answer

Could be 'Spartan', or just'unemotional'.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.