Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there an English word (a noun) that is an equivalent to the "thread/string of a bow" from a bow and arrow?

-1; This seems a little too easy to answer by simply looking it up. –  MrHen Apr 12 '11 at 17:40
Do you mean bow as in bow and arrow or as in the bow on top of a present? Great, now I've typed bow too many times and it looks wrong. –  Kevin Apr 12 '11 at 19:57
@Kevin: Semantic satiation, eh? –  RegDwigнt Apr 13 '11 at 9:27

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Bow string?

You can even remove the space: bowstring is a word. –  MrHen Apr 12 '11 at 17:39
@MrHen: check the link. Cerberus is covering all his bases.))) –  RegDwigнt Apr 12 '11 at 17:41
@Reg: The comment wasn't directed at Cerberus but people browsing in the future. –  MrHen Apr 12 '11 at 17:43
+1 to the answer. @MrHen: I agree. I'd use it as one word. –  Tragicomic Apr 12 '11 at 21:41

This site is currently not accepting new answers.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .