English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there an English word (a noun) that is an equivalent to the "thread/string of a bow" from a bow and arrow?

share|improve this question
-1; This seems a little too easy to answer by simply looking it up. – MrHen Apr 12 '11 at 17:40
Do you mean bow as in bow and arrow or as in the bow on top of a present? Great, now I've typed bow too many times and it looks wrong. – Kevin Apr 12 '11 at 19:57
@Kevin: Semantic satiation, eh? – RegDwigнt Apr 13 '11 at 9:27
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Bow string?

share|improve this answer
You can even remove the space: bowstring is a word. – MrHen Apr 12 '11 at 17:39
@MrHen: check the link. Cerberus is covering all his bases.))) – RegDwigнt Apr 12 '11 at 17:41
@Reg: The comment wasn't directed at Cerberus but people browsing in the future. – MrHen Apr 12 '11 at 17:43
+1 to the answer. @MrHen: I agree. I'd use it as one word. – Tragicomic Apr 12 '11 at 21:41

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.