English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm not sure if this is a case of selective memory, or if it's real.

It seems that Americans do not use the term "mains power," which is common in British English. The closest synonym I know is "wall power," which is imprecise.

As an American electrical engineer, I don't want to flip-flop dialects, and "wall power" is both naive-sounding and awkward when referring to 120V AC inside a device (but still coming from mains) or otherwise far from a wall.

Is there a better term I should know, or should I assume that "mains" is mainstream to my fellow Americans?

Edit: According to Wikipedia:

In the US, mains electric power (as opposed to battery electricity, etc.) is referred to by several names including "household power," "household electricity," "powerline," "domestic power," "wall power," "line power," "AC power," "city power," "street power," and "grid power."

This insinuates that "mains" is not a U.S. term, and that the alternatives are all equally imprecise.

Conclusion: Americans are likely to use "grid" as a synonym for "mains", which isn't baseless. So really the British style only seemed better because I hadn't yet considered whether the word already has another meaning.

share|improve this question
My conclusion: Americans are apt to think that you meant, dropped the main breaker. Instead of, just killed that one circuit. – Mazura Apr 8 '15 at 3:53
up vote 7 down vote accepted

As another American EE, I would use "mains" only in certain contexts...

After the hurricane, the hospital powered life support equipment from diesel generators for 36 hours, then switched back to the mains.

"Grid" would also be acceptable.

If you're referring to 120VAC (RMS) without caring about source, the accepted U.S. industry-wide term is 'line voltage'.

share|improve this answer
Line power, line level, line voltage is all I have heard in AE. To be more precise you could say 110V – mgb Apr 12 '11 at 4:22
And line-cord for "mains lead" you can spend hours trying to explain to somebody in best-buy what you want! – mgb Apr 12 '11 at 4:25
@mgb: Definitely power cord or extension cord (depending on the arrangement of receptacles at the female/socket end). Line cord sounds like it belongs up on a power pole with the transformers. – Ben Voigt Apr 12 '11 at 4:28

I don't know what's more common in daily speech, but I've heard AC power a lot, and you will often find that on American websites describing computer components and in manuals. I'd not be surprised to read line power or grid power in a technical manual either, but AC power might be more frequent in a technical context. But I'm not sure. If you need to be absolutely unambiguous, you could simply call it 120-V power or something like that.

share|improve this answer
AC power is very suitable, unless there is another AC power source in the device. Grid power also works, unless the device interfaces with the actual grid side. I guess I just happen to be in a confusing position… – Potatoswatter Apr 12 '11 at 0:07
@Potatoswatter: If it is important that you avoid ambiguity at all cost, you could name the power source by its voltage/current. – Cerberus Apr 12 '11 at 0:29

Wikipedia says:

In the US, electric power is referred to by several names including household power, household electricity, powerline, domestic power, wall power, line power, AC power, city power, street power, and grid power.

Which is indeed how I refer to household electricity. We never call it "mains power."

If someone began talking to me about the "mains," what I would think of is the power feed that comes into the breaker panel of the house (i.e. feeding the main circuit breaker), not the actual electrical outlets in the house.

share|improve this answer

Haven't heard the phrase "mains power" here in America, ever in any context. I think "Wall power" refers to power that comes from "the wall" and "house current" refers to 120V/60Hz which may come from a generator etc. I don't think "wall power" can come from a generator.

share|improve this answer
Well… if the generator powers the wall outlets… – Potatoswatter Apr 11 '11 at 23:58
I meant, "wall power" seems to require a wall, though "house current" doesn't seem to require a house. – bmcnett Apr 12 '11 at 1:02

Definitely say AC power. And specify the voltage and the hz because in the United States power comes in two forms. In residences it's 120/220 (or in some areas 110/220) and generally 60hz. But in commercial applications it's often 130 volts. So be on the safe side and say exactly what you're talking about.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.