English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the politically correct term for someone who is not very Internet savvy?

share|improve this question
*inserts joke about using Internet Explorer* – MrHen Apr 11 '11 at 22:44
"Luddite-American"? – oosterwal Apr 12 '11 at 13:12
up vote 12 down vote accepted

Possibilities include:

  • She lives most of her life offline, only checking email once a month.
  • He isn't on the grid, so the cell is the main way to contact.
  • A proud Luddite when it comes to the Net, he doesn't own a computer and only surfs via the library.
share|improve this answer
All good possibilities, but +1 for Luddite. It may be more general and often used in a derogatory way, but many are reclaiming the term and its use seems to be changing. – Callithumpian Apr 11 '11 at 21:10
I would say 'Luddite' is a little strong, having an overtone of being actually anti-technology rather than simply unfamiliar with it. – Snubian Apr 12 '11 at 1:22

With all due respect, "internet-challenged" is probably as benign as it's going to get.

share|improve this answer

Most people would say "computer illiterate" as a softer way of saying NOOB but I am so tired of that expression so I voted up Chris' answer.

share|improve this answer

You may also say in a more general sense:

He/she is not a very technical person.

I have heard this used and I think it's specific enough to get the point across, but vague enough that it's not finger-pointing at a persons' deficiencies. It's not specific to the Internet, but these days enough people consider computers and the Internet synonymously that it's still effective.

share|improve this answer
He is not technically adept. – Emre Apr 11 '11 at 21:34
or any similar variation... "technically-minded", "technically-apt", etc. – tenfour Apr 11 '11 at 21:37

I have come across the term "technophobe", but this would indicate someone who is afraid of technology more than someone who just isn't very good with it.

share|improve this answer
I don't take that word literally; usually when I hear that word it's meant as someone who isn't very good at technology. – Leo King Jun 11 '14 at 14:46

I hear the phrase "digital divide" on my local progressive radio station quite a lot. It describes a systemic, unfortunate lack of access to high tech without ascribing blame.

share|improve this answer

"Illiterate," assuming it's clear lack of formal literacy if obviously not the case. Perhaps "deadwood" or "stuck in offline age..."

share|improve this answer

I'd call such folk internaughts.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.