Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

When citing like [Source, ch.number], is there a particular symbol that could or should replace the "ch." abbreviation?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

No. The standard abbreviations are Ch. and Chap.

…or at least, if there is such a symbol, Unicode doesn’t know about it yet — and Unicode is pretty comprehensive, including characters as diverse as the inverted interrobang ⸘, biohazard sign ☣, and snowman ☃, not to mention the Shavian alphabet and much, much, much more.

share|improve this answer
Ugh. They should have got a typographer to proofread their sketches of the alphabet. It’s utterly unreadable, the letters are much too thin, too vertical and too similar. (“·𐑖𐑱𐑝𐑾𐑯 𐑨𐑤𐑓𐑩𐑚𐑧𐑑”). –  Konrad Rudolph Apr 11 '11 at 7:16

I have seen lawyers use the section symbol, §, to denote sections of a document that would be chapters in book form, but I'm not sure if it's entirely applicable to your situation.

share|improve this answer
At least in some technical writing, a section is typically a subdivision of a chapter; so while § is used for sections, they are specifically different from chapters. –  PLL Apr 10 '11 at 20:47
The U.S. legal code is generally referenced by title and section, the latter indicated by section symbol (§). In the U.S. Code, the sections are combined into chapters within a title, but the chapter number is not explicitly cited, and so no abbreviation is used for it. The size of a section can vary from a single sentence to a very large number of pages. See the Wikipedia article for more details. –  mgkrebbs Apr 10 '11 at 21:07

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.