English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a certain word, usually being said about the current generation, something like attention deficit caused by over stimulation (like people don't want to wait for more than 30 seconds for a video, etc).

The word I was looking for was desensitized

share|improve this question

Restive comes to mind: Unable to keep still or silent and becoming increasingly difficult to control.

share|improve this answer
mm.. not exactly, I'm looking for something to do with the attention, or lack of it. – Asaf Apr 9 '11 at 10:07

Perhaps fractious would be what you are looking for. See meaning (2) here, or perhaps the other synonyms offered (particularly testy and captious).

share|improve this answer

The words you could use to describe the current generation:

  1. restless
  2. speeded-up
  3. impatient
  4. high-strung
  5. on-edge

These are simple terms that you have probably thought of yourself.

share|improve this answer

If you don't mind a bit of slang, how about wired?


share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.