English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Which term best suits to describe a part/slice/share/portion of a piechart, disregarding what the chart is about ?

share|improve this question
up vote 11 down vote accepted

The correct term is slice, fitting the pie metaphor.

share|improve this answer
Slice is good because it fits the metaphor, but I think it's a little bit whimsical & familiar for, say, a formal business or academic presentation. In those contexts, segment and sector would be more likely to slot in without calling attention to themselves. – FumbleFingers Apr 8 '11 at 16:30
I don't agree that it is whimsical. Sector is the correct mathematical term for this sort of part of a circle and is perfectly acceptable. Anybody using a pie chart in academia is deserving of ridicule. ;) – z7sg Ѫ Apr 8 '11 at 16:42
Hmm. Pie-charts are beneath the dignity of academia, huh? I can't be bothered to find online content from a redbrick uni to counter that - The Open University has a page on pie-charts that's easy to find. They are a bit 'populist', in that they use the word slice 4 times as opposed to only 3 segments. Maybe the redbricks might reverse that ratio. Maybe you're right anyway. Maybe there's no such thing as 'right' in these subtle distinctions, but I see your rebuttal has 5 upvotes already, so I guess you're at least winning. – FumbleFingers Apr 8 '11 at 22:01
I'll pick this answer, because IMO it bests suits the metaphor of the pie and the way these charts are used than sector. Anyway, thanks for all the answers – BiAiB Apr 10 '11 at 9:59

I think the word "segment" would usually be used.

share|improve this answer
Isn't sector technically more accurate, at least from mathematical point of view? Though in practice I doubt anyone would object to "segment", in the more general sense of "a piece" rather than the strictly mathematical one :) – psmears Apr 8 '11 at 16:32
Interetsing -- you're right that geometrically, "sector" is the correct term, yet I think people more often call them segments. I guess they're not using "segment" in the mathematical sense. – Neil Coffey Apr 8 '11 at 18:49

Since each "part" is a sector of a circle, sector can be used IMO.

share|improve this answer

All the ones mentioned are fine. You can also call it wedge, especially with 3D pies. One that is pulled out is called exploded wedge.

share|improve this answer

Others have mentioned it, but the first word that came to my mind was "sector".

share|improve this answer

I would tend to go with section.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.