English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There is a word for the publisher's logo at the bottom of the title page and on the spine of a book, but I can't recall it.

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

That would be called "the Publisher's Logo." Perhaps you are referring to the material which describes who designed the book; the publisher's data; the materials used in its production [etc]. This is called "the colophon."

Added: "Publisher's Mark" is an alternative for "Logo"

share|improve this answer
+1 for knowing and telling what a colophon is. And is not! Thanks. – Pete Wilson Apr 8 '11 at 17:18
Chambers dictionary defines colophon as " publisher's imprint or emblem: formerly an inscription at the end of a book, often naming the author or scribe [...] as on a modern title page". So it would be fine here (at least in England), – TimLymington May 7 '11 at 20:14

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.