English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is a word for a person with more expertise (in certain field) than an intermediate but less so than an expert?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Depending on the field (and potentially how close to intermediate/expert you want to be), a variety of words are viable:

  • Advanced
  • Seasoned
  • Experienced
share|improve this answer


Exactly what qualifies you to be a journeyman varies from profession to profession (if it is even used within a given profession).

It generally means someone who has completed all their training and is considered proficient without having yet proven their mastery.

share|improve this answer

Skilled, proficient http://www.synonyms.net/synonym/expert

However I have never seen the need.

novice/beginner, intermediate, expert

are the terms normally used

share|improve this answer

In many companies, the HR dept. have a rating scale along the line of the following:

Novice => Intermediate => Senior => Expert

share|improve this answer

In Belgium you often see medior, which is between junior and senior.
It's redundant; if you're neither a junior X nor a senior X, then you're just an X.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.