English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
Similar words that change from “-ter” to “tre”

I am researching some stuff about football (soccer), and I came across the words center and centre, both of them seem to mean the same thing (i.e., middle area) but I don't know why they are different. I found a couple of sites referring to the centre-back (one of the defenders), and in the same sites they write center forward (one of the attackers).

If center/centre in the two positions mean the same thing (and they do), does anyone have any idea why they are spelled differently?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by kiamlaluno, Marthaª, Kosmonaut Apr 5 '11 at 23:56

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.


They mean the same thing. British English uses centre while American English uses center. Since you are looking at "football" (and not "soccer"), I would expect you to see centre used far more often.

share|improve this answer
To add weight to this answer, other sports in America use centers not centres with the most obvious being basketball. – MrHen Apr 5 '11 at 17:11
The thing is i found Centre and Center in a couple of UK sites talking about football, thats when the doubt came up. – user6964 Apr 5 '11 at 17:28
Could easily be a typo (since a spell checker vary well may not have picked it up). Would you like to provide a link? – snumpy Apr 5 '11 at 17:39
Apparently a spell checker doesn't mind "vary well" either... – snumpy Feb 11 '13 at 14:43