English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

When a child loses his parents, he is referred to as an orphan.

If a woman loses her husband, she is considered a widow.

But if a parent loses their child, what do we call them? Childless? Childless doesn't make much sense, as if the parents never had children to begin with.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by ermanen, Daniel, cheers love, medica, Mari-Lou A Aug 26 '14 at 8:33

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

If they are left childless as a result of a child's death, it would be "tragically childless" or "mortally childless". – jxh Aug 26 '14 at 3:02
up vote 5 down vote accepted

I don't know of a specific word for this situation, but bereaved parents fits. To bereave means to suffer a profound loss, especially through the death of a loved one. Associating the word with "parent" will indicate the loss of a child.

share|improve this answer

If it is an only child we can use the word shidu (or shidu parents) which has been recently introduced into English from Chinese.

Wikipedia explains:

Shidu (失独) is a phenomenon denoting the loss of a parent's only child. The parents who have lost their only child are known as shidu fumu in China.

This might be a bit more specific than what you're looking for but can't hurt to consider.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.