English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a synonym for participant suitable for a research paper? I have seen words such as colleague, member, party, etc. in various thesauruses, but these do not fit with the meaning I am trying to convey. I am looking at using participant as “someone who participated in an experiment”.

share|improve this question
Probably avoid guinea pigs. :) – tchrist Aug 18 '14 at 0:20
What kind of participant? Participating in conducting the experiment or participating in the experiment itself as a subject? – Kris Aug 18 '14 at 5:21

If you are talking about a medical experiment or study, proband or subject might fit. If you are talking about people who actually carried out the experiment, contributor could be a suitable word.

share|improve this answer

If your question concerns a scientific paper, we usually have the main researcher whom we refer to as the "author" and all other researchers are called the "co-authors". "Contributors" would be those who help you carry out your research project, with financial, logistical, structural or any other form of support.

share|improve this answer

A suitable word would be partaker. Definition here: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/partaker

Example: They partook in an experiment that....

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.