Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I heard this somewhere on YouTube and I wish I could recall where exactly. The person was recording himself from a dash-cam while driving, and when he noticed that a cop was following him, he said this to another person that was in a car with him

Hey, hang on. That cop is _________ me.

He used this slang word for following me that I'm curious to know.

I'm referring to American English slang.

share|improve this question
........tailing –  Edwin Ashworth Aug 17 at 21:48
@EdwinAshworth: Thanks, it's a good one. But he used something else. –  MikeF Aug 17 at 21:51
Dogging, pursuing with the intent to catch, also is a possibility. Also racially-profiling, as in “Hey, hang on. That cop is racially-profiling me.” –  jwpat7 Aug 18 at 0:35
tagging/trailing along/behind/after ? –  ermanen Aug 18 at 1:58

5 Answers 5

up vote 11 down vote accepted

I would say tailing. That cop has been tailing me for a few blocks sounds the most normal.

Tailgating is not quite what you're looking for—that implies following someone too close, and shadowing is for other contexts.

To further substantiate my answer (from the Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus)

informal the paparazzi tailed them: follow, shadow, stalk, trail, track, hunt, hound, dog, pursue, chase.

on someone's tail a police car stayed on his tail: CLOSE behind, following closely, (hard) on someone's heels.

From those examples, stalk adds a whole slew of other implications to it, trail is similar and sounds awkward to me, hunt, hound, and dog also add implications. Pursue is also a good one, but isn't quite slang, is it? And chase means to chase.

And, I have even more for you—if you're okay taking it beyond slang. In my personal experiences driving around with my friends, I've said and heard things like that guy's creeping and that guy's been on my ass for a few blocks now.


if the words suggested already aren't good enough for you, you have to make something up yourself. Whatever works with people you know, in your area. This guy on YouTube, I'd imagine, was doing just that.

share|improve this answer
Awesome, man. Thanks. I think what he used was, "That cop is maddogging me." –  MikeF Aug 18 at 5:43
huh - it sounds like "dogging" or maybe "mad-dogging" is a new slang for "tailing". thanks for that MikeF –  Joe Blow Aug 18 at 6:56
Heh… that sounds a bit silly to me. –  George Pompidou Aug 18 at 12:42
For reference, looks like mad dogging means to give someone a glaring look (according to top googled sources). –  George Pompidou Aug 18 at 15:10
@GeorgePompidou: I know. But that's what slang is, silly. I believe that it might have been derived from "dogging", or maybe even vice-versa. –  MikeF Aug 18 at 20:39

It might be shadowing. If you look up tail in a thesaurus, there are a few other colloquial terms if this isn't the one you are looking for. (trail, track, stalk, and others.)

In spycraft, surveillance techniques refer to the eye as the one tracking the rabbit. You could say that someone is eyeing your friend.

share|improve this answer

hang on. That cop is on to me.

share|improve this answer

Years ago when my friends and I would ride in separate cars, one following the other, we called it a caravan. I think I also heard that word used as a verb, even if I did not, someone has probably used it that way, as in, "We're going to caravan to the party."

Note: I would simply have agreed with the answer "tailing", but OP already said that was not the word used in the video. So we're looking for other possibilities with less prior likelihood now.

share|improve this answer


The cop was tailgating him.

share|improve this answer
tailgate. –  medica Aug 18 at 0:26

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.