English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'd be grateful if any Canadian speakers can tell me: in the context of an option in a computer dialog box/menu, which of the words "untick" vs "uncheck" is most commonly used (or are they used interchangeably)?

share|improve this question
I'm in Australia and we would never say uncheck, only untick. You tick boxes here, not check them. – user11960 Aug 15 '11 at 5:17
"tick" to mean "check mark" has British origins. I can see why Australians would use it over check. – Sun Dec 18 '14 at 18:29
up vote 10 down vote accepted

Uncheck is far more common. Anecdotally, I have rarely seen the word untick while I fairly regularly hear and use the word uncheck.

But, to demonstrate it better, do a google search for untick with Canadian location. It lists 16,200 results. By contrast, searching for uncheck with Canadian location returns 695,000 results.

share|improve this answer
Clever use of Google search. – Kyle Aug 18 '11 at 22:08

Both would be understood. I would say uncheck is more common. Don't think I've ever heard "untick" used.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.