English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a word that means 'enter a room fast and suddenly'. Using a dictionary I got the word 'to plunge' - however I'm not sure if that's correct.

When looking up 'to plunge' (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/plunge) it seems not to be completely correct, especially when looking at the example sentences.

So, is 'to plunge' also used with the meaning of 'entering a room fast and suddenly'? If not, what is such a word?

share|improve this question
I think the proper term is 'to kramer', as in "With his wild hair askew, he kramered into the room." – oosterwal Apr 3 '11 at 5:43
@oosterwal: Of course! youtube.com/watch?v=XXSGV5wEv1o – Callithumpian Apr 3 '11 at 13:50
@oosterwal: You should make it an answer. – Callithumpian Apr 3 '11 at 13:56

10 Answers 10

up vote 17 down vote accepted


Definition #2 from Collins English Dictionary:

(intr) to come, go, etc., suddenly and forcibly. He burst into the room.

share|improve this answer
For OP's exact context, burst in is definitely first choice. Barging is more likely to reference things (and people) disrupted by the sudden entry. Plunging is more often metaphorical (he plunged into his work) unless the space being entered is full of liquid (i.e. - a swimming pool) – FumbleFingers Apr 3 '11 at 2:56


Definition #2 (verb) from Merriam-Webster Dicitonary:

(intr) to thrust oneself heedlessly or unceremoniously. She barged through the door without even knocking

share|improve this answer
I think "Barge" also has a feeling of violence/aggression associated with it. – apoorv020 Apr 3 '11 at 12:46

Consider also storm, from the Free Dictionary:

To move or rush tumultuously, violently, or angrily: stormed into the room.

share|improve this answer
This one actually is a literal translation of the word in my language - I didn't know this can be said in English as well. – pimvdb Apr 3 '11 at 9:27

While I was making it up as a joke, @Callithumpian has encouraged me to offer "Kramering" as a real answer. Here is a definition from the Urban Dictionary, and here is a visual explanation of the origin of the term.

share|improve this answer

Rush from the Free Dictionary:

  1. To make a sudden or swift attack or charge.

Example: “He rushed into the room to break the bad news.”

share|improve this answer

She exploded into the room and hurled the knife at him.

share|improve this answer

Suddenly and fast, as in an invasion:

They crashed into the room and made the arrest.

share|improve this answer


share|improve this answer

Perhaps charged as in following?

She charged into the room to see what was amiss.

share|improve this answer

I'd most often use " burst into the room" or maybe "barged into..." although to me the second also has the suggestion of interrupting someone

share|improve this answer
This is just an echo of the highest-voted answers. When answering, please add unique suggestions or information. – Dan Bron Jul 31 '15 at 17:20

protected by tchrist Aug 31 '15 at 4:07

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.