English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the term called, named after a Frenchman, that refers to profile paintings of human faces that are usually black and white and only show contours?

share|improve this question
up vote 10 down vote accepted

silhouette n.

  1. A drawing consisting of the outline of something, especially a human profile, filled in with a solid color.

  2. An outline that appears dark against a light background. See Synonyms at outline.

tr.v. silhouetted, silhouetting, silhouettes: To cause to be seen as a silhouette; outline: Figures were silhouetted against the setting sun.

[French, after Étienne de Silhouette (1709-1767), French finance minister.] [AHDEL]

share|improve this answer
I honestly did not know this was named after a person. Well done, Edwin. – Dan Bron Aug 14 '14 at 19:37
In all honesty, if I ever did, I'd forgotten. It seemed to fit, though. – Edwin Ashworth Aug 14 '14 at 19:38
Thank you, @Edwin Ashworth! :) – Artem Aug 15 '14 at 11:18

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.