English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is a good term for instruments (tools) a thief uses?

Thief tools

Thief stuff

Thief gear

Something else?

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

"Tools" is the most appropriate term and I would use the following phrases:

The thief's tools...

The thieving tools...

If there is more than one thief:

The thieves' tools...

share|improve this answer
Thanks for answers – user6804 Apr 1 '11 at 19:20

In America at least, the normal term is burglary tools. Burglary is surreptitiously entering a building for purposes of theft, so burglary tools would include tools for picking locks, breaking doors, etc.

share|improve this answer
+1: I usually hear this as burglar's tools though. "Thief's tools" just sounds odd to me. – Robusto Apr 2 '11 at 0:27


The thief slipped through the open window, pulled out the tools of her trade from the knapsack, and walked toward the safe.

share|improve this answer
She pulled out her lock picks – GEdgar Jul 12 '11 at 17:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.