Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there any substantive difference in the meanings of these two words? Is the latter considered a proper word at all?

If the answer to either of the above questions is yes, what are these words' differences in usage?

Similarly, "acoustic" versus "acoustical", etc.

share|improve this question
Related: Why is it geometric_ but theoretic_al_? –  RegDwigнt Apr 1 '11 at 10:16

1 Answer 1

There is no such English word as "scientifical." You might make an argument that "acoustic" has the same meaning as "acoustical," though. Ain't English great?

share|improve this answer
There is (or rather was) such a word. It's gone the way of the Dodo however. example –  Sam Apr 1 '11 at 13:45
But the Collins Dictionary disagrees collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/scientifical –  Olga Jan 27 at 9:12

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.