English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there an umbrella term for things like:

  • wall clock
  • wall-mounted TV
  • tapestry

I'm looking for a single, or at most two words for naming a concept in a programming project.

share|improve this question
In a programming project, what about "const static" ;-) – mgb Mar 31 '11 at 15:39
Lets pray they stay hung in their place, so that the program doesn't hang =) – ento Apr 1 '11 at 9:20
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Is "Hanging" not sufficient? Or perhaps "Adornment"?

share|improve this answer
Thanks, I went with Hanging (liked the shortness) and the code is live now! – ento Apr 1 '11 at 9:11
We often use "a hanging", or for more than one, "hangings" for those things hanging on a wall. – Todd Hopkinson May 7 '11 at 7:34

How about wall-mountables? Yes I know it's not really a noun but sometimes it's OK to use an invented word in programming, right?

share|improve this answer
Yes, programming is all about naming and coining. At first I wrote "wallmounted" as a stub, but "hanging" worked better for me. – ento Apr 1 '11 at 9:16
'Hangable' is another way you could express it as a property of an object. – Oldcat Jan 9 '14 at 22:18

The best option I can think of is wall ornament, but I don't think it really applies to tapestry unless it's an extraordinary tapestry…

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.