English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The bit of a podcast at the beginning and usually the very end too with the branding/title+description+jingle that is always the same? Probably the same word describes what is used for the branding of broadcast audio (uh, radio) too. Bookends? Lead-in/outs?

share|improve this question
up vote 11 down vote accepted

The usual terms I hear are "intro" and "outro". "Intro" is of course short for "introduction", while "outro" is formed by analogy with "intro".

share|improve this answer
This is perfect, and what a delightful pair of terms. Thanks everyone. – Quinn Comendant Jul 23 '14 at 22:51

I believe the end segment is called a "sign-off".

Not sure about the beginning segment. Oh, apparently it's called a "sign-on". Makes sense!

Note that these technically refer to the entire beginning and ending sequences of programs. That includes test patterns and so forth.

share|improve this answer

I would suggest that "lead in" / "lead out" as mentioned in your question are probably the most applicable. As Greg suggests, "intro" and "outro" also work, but it's conceivable that you might have a unique intro for a given episode which would be played after the "lead in".

You may even shorten this to simply "lead" for the beginning, and more explicitly use "lead out" when referring to the end.

Just my two cents, but maybe someone in radio or podcasting will offer up an industry accepted alternative.

share|improve this answer

You could also use the term bumper:

In broadcasting, a commercial bumper, ident bumper or break-bumper is a brief announcement, usually two to 15 seconds in length that can contain a voice over, placed between a pause in the program and its commercial break, and vice versa. The host, the program announcer or a continuity announcer states the title (if any) of the presentation, the name of the program, and the broadcast or cable network, though not necessarily in that order. [...] Bumper music, often a recurring signature or theme music segment, is nearly always featured.

- Bumper (broadcasting) from Wikipedia.

As commercials are less common in podcasts, it could certainly be used for the start and end of the broadcast, and it would probably be reused if the recording ever was played in full on a commercial radio station.

share|improve this answer
So, what you're saying is that, although "bumper" has a perfectly clear definition (something played before and/or after a commercial break) and that this perfectly clear definition perfectly clearly does not apply in the situation being described (podcasts tend not to have ad breaks and, anyway, the question is about the start and end of the show, not interruptions within it), you think that "bumper" is the right word to use? – David Richerby Jul 23 '14 at 9:05
@DavidRicherby Thanks for the downvote. Bumpers do not require adverts, the same segments played at the start and end of radio shows without adverts (such as BBC Radio 4) programmes are also called bumpers. And some podcasts do have adverts, such as Penn's Sunday School. – MrLore Jul 23 '14 at 9:14
Then please quote a definition of the term "bumper" that includes start/end sequences and, therefore, makes your answer relevant to the question. Also, please note that your implicit criticism of what you assume to be my downvote is way off-base. Voting on answers, based on whether one believes them to be correct is a fundamental part of how this site works. – David Richerby Jul 23 '14 at 9:32

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.