English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

They are obsolete now, but I see them often in movies. They are some sort of slide-show projector with a rotating handle that flips to new slide? I uploaded pic of the machine and the displayed slide.

image 1

image 2

share|improve this question
Is there a hypernym for the class that includes 'microfiche reader' & 'microfilm reader?' – Kris Jul 20 '14 at 5:49
+Kris, Microform - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microform. – Blessed Geek Jul 20 '14 at 12:43
Holy cowabunga!!! You must be so young to this world that you don't know that microfiche and microfilm had been common terms prior to 25 years ago. You are probably also asking why - you dial a number on a cell phone; - you watch a film on a DVD movie. – Blessed Geek Jul 20 '14 at 12:44

I have no idea what this has to do with English, but those are called microfiche readers in our language.

share|improve this answer
I can't see the front of the machine so I can't tell if these would be for microfiche or microfilm. – Dan Jul 20 '14 at 4:04
It appears to me that the machine partially visible qt the right may be a microfilm reader, and that the other three may be the microfiche reader as tchrist ventured. The difference is that microfilm readers are designed to handle roll stock, and microfiche readers take sheet stock. In terms of the media itself, the images on microfilm are the size of a 35 mm negative image (that is, about 25 mm high x 37 mm wide), while images on microfiche may be much smaller. The machines aren't obsolete, being still used in libraries, as not all microfiche or microfilm has been converted to digital. – brasshat Jul 20 '14 at 4:32
"Microfilm Reader is a device used for reading of documents stored as microform. Microform includes Flat Film, Microfilm, Aperture Cards, Microfiche, and ultra fiche. Using open reels or cassettes, Microfilm is often used as a way to store many documents in a small space. It has become increasingly important in the development of films as well as storage of archived newspapers... A microfilm reader is used in projecting and viewing to magnify microfilm images to readable proportions." – medica Jul 20 '14 at 4:47
What 'language' is 'microfiche readers,' then? :) – Kris Jul 20 '14 at 5:48
Ok, great! What are those called in any other language? – Kris Jul 21 '14 at 5:20

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.