English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The related question is asked here, and I cannot figure out it.

share|improve this question

It is called a DNS wildcard

As an aside (it's off-topic here): The standards are defined in RFC 4592. See also http://serverfault.com/questions/215042/dns-wildcard-vs-cname-subdomains

share|improve this answer

Do you mean redirecting all subdomains to the main domain? A domain bin ?

share|improve this answer

You might be looking for the term "URL canonization".

share|improve this answer
I think you mean URL canonicalization or URL normalization. Canonizing a URL is up to the Space Pope. – choster Jun 22 '12 at 16:04

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.