English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

Is there any specific term for someone who has lost something? The person who finds something can be called a finder but what about the person who has lost something? What should the appropriate term be?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by phenry, Josh61, tchrist, FumbleFingers, Mitch Jul 7 '14 at 2:12

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Finders keepers, losers weepers. – Neil W Jul 6 '14 at 0:42
up vote 2 down vote accepted

The term that describes a person who misplaces an inanimate object is mislayer (a derivative of mislay).

He constantly loses his wallet; I don't know a more frequent mislayer.

Additionally, a term that denotes a person who lost someone dear (or something sentimental) is bereaved (or bereft), when used as an adjectival noun.

I offer my condolences to the bereft.

share|improve this answer
People who lose their billfolds are now Don Juans? :) – tchrist Jul 6 '14 at 22:47
@tchrist There's a reason this "Don Juan" has lost his wallet; it was probably stolen by an unscrupulous woman that he seduced (or payed for). – Theodore Broda Jul 7 '14 at 0:38
thanks theodore.. – Aldee Jul 8 '14 at 3:47
@AldeeMativo My pleasure. When in doubt, use a thesaurus. Although initially I could find no synonyms for "loser", I looked at synonyms for the verb "lose". In one of the dictionary entries for "mislay" (a synonym of "lose"), I found "mislayer" among the derived terms. There are many descriptive words in English, but it sometimes takes some excavation to find them. – Theodore Broda Jul 8 '14 at 4:04

I think aside from the rather abrasive "loser", such a term doesn't exist. For specific things however, e.g. the loss of a wife/husband, we have the term "widow/widower".

share|improve this answer
Yes. I agree.. it seems there is no specific term for such :) – Aldee Jul 6 '14 at 2:43

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.