English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am looking to see if there is a word to describe "communicating one thought". I imagine it would be something like "Mono--ic". This is how I am attempting to use it:

"Instead of using a choropleth map, which is mono--ic, we should use a more dynamic map which displays multiple statistics simultaneously."

For those who don't know, a choropleth map is a map with solid colors which correspond to a single value. E.g. A red county might mean it's population is primarily republican.

Which I am trying to communicate is that we should use a map which does not communicate a single thought per area - rather a map that communicates multiple aspects at the same time.

Any help would be much appreciated!



share|improve this question
Definitely like that! However, a choropleth map is monothematic to begin with. I'm thinking more in terms of conveying only one piece of the data. – user3786540 Jul 2 '14 at 21:10
up vote 0 down vote accepted

I think you may be referring to Monothematic: adj.

Having only one theme.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.