English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Please suggest the word which means "understandable by specific group". I just forgot that.

share|improve this question
Are you looking for "classifiable?" maybe a little more context would help explain which word you seek. – snumpy Mar 26 '11 at 15:53
More context is needed to give a meaningful answer. – tenfour Mar 26 '11 at 16:04
up vote 9 down vote accepted

There are lots of words covering the general concept, but they're usually used by people who are not members of the "specific group", so they tend to be pejorative.

Esoteric strikes me as somewhat less value-laden than most.

share|improve this answer
Esoteric is the word i was looking for :) – Rakesh Juyal Mar 26 '11 at 17:11
There's also arcane, which wouldn't really be pejorative. If someone suggested I had arcane understanding, I would not be offended. – kojiro Mar 26 '11 at 21:34
"Esoteric" implies that it is only understandable by a specific group. It may be the answer sought but I don't feel it matches the question that well. To me, "Domain-specific" may be more fitting but Rakesh is happy. – dave Mar 26 '11 at 21:42
Depending on context, colloquial could be appropriate. – JustinC Mar 26 '11 at 22:15
arcane certainly bucks the trend by normally having positive associations for non-group-members - but it's a bit archaic / quaint, and is often used jocularly nowadays. – FumbleFingers Mar 27 '11 at 1:50

While not a direct answer to your question, the term jargon refers to language (words and phrases) that are common in one specific group but not used that way outside the group.

For example, in medical jargon, a heart attack is called a myocardial infarction.

share|improve this answer
I think this may be exactly what the asker wants, he just didn't phrase it particularly clearly. – Marthaª Mar 26 '11 at 16:51
@Martha, no it is not jargon – Rakesh Juyal Mar 26 '11 at 17:10

An "in-joke" is a term used describe an event that is humourous only to a small group of insiders to whom the full history leading up to the event is known, thereby allowing them to find humour in the situation that would otherwise to an outsider not appear to be humourous.

share|improve this answer

You may be looking for the word shibboleth. From Wikipedia:

A shibboleth ( /ˈʃɪbəlɛθ/ or /ˈʃɪbələθ/) is any distinguishing practice that is indicative of one's social or regional origin.

It is also used to mean words used by a members of a group to distinguish themselves as members of that group. When used this way, it is being used metaphorically.

share|improve this answer

protected by RegDwigнt Jun 26 '12 at 9:23

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.