English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Just as shortchange means cheating someone by giving insufficient money as change, the word I am looking for means cheating through counterfeit money.

There are words as simple as deceive, bilk, swindle, cozen and others, but I couldn't find a word that means exactly what I need.

share|improve this question
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide – Mr. Shiny and New 安宇 Jun 24 '14 at 1:03
@Mr. Shiny: I'm UK (no spring chicken, with a misspent youth! :) so I understand that anyway, but for the benefit of others you should include a link. – FumbleFingers Jun 24 '14 at 1:15
up vote 2 down vote accepted

To shove [the queer] - verb 4. (slang) - To pass (counterfeit money).

I've not actually come across "Let's shove that guy" as a transitive usage meaning "Let's palm off some dud notes on him", but it seems like a small and natural functional shift to me.

share|improve this answer

From Lexicon balatronicum: A Dictionary of Buckish, Francis Grose:

To smash. To pass counterfeit money.

From Dictionary of American Underworld Lingo, Hyman:

push, v. 2. To pass or issue, especially counterfeit currency or negotiables

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.