Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What is this called?

enter image description here

I know it's a collage, but is there more specific term for a collection of a pictures arranged in a way that creates the illusion of a "big picture" from amongst them?

Bonus: What's a better word than "illusion" to describe that "big picture"?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 10 down vote accepted

A photographic mosaic or photomosaic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_mosaic

share|improve this answer
+1 Photomosaic is exactly what I asked for, so I've accepted. It's a little bit on-the-nose for my use-case though - I wonder if there are any more general terms for this sort of phenomenon. A photomosaic is a form or type of _____ ? –  drewmore Jun 23 at 23:42
@drewmore: It is a type of collage which you already mentioned in your question. But as it is usually computer-created, it is a montage also. –  ermanen Jun 26 at 4:56

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.