English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a single word for someone who likes or loves to examine statistics?

share|improve this question
Statisto-phile, statisto-philia? – Blessed Geek Jun 22 '14 at 10:07
up vote 8 down vote accepted

A statistician is one who collects and/or works with statistics. You are unlikely to find a single word in wide use for someone who enjoys consuming statistics as an amateur pastime, although people often coin such words as needed by appending -[o]phile or -[o]holic to the root word, or to a derivative of it: statophile, statoholic.

share|improve this answer
Thanks. Statophile and statoholic are probably the closest it can get to what I was looking for. – zenith Jun 22 '14 at 0:28
Be aware, however, that statistician is a professional term (like physicist, biologist, astronomer, psychologist, etc.), and should not be applied to anyone who does not have a professional qualification, occasionally under legal licensing laws. I.e, it doesn't apply to amateurs, unless it's prefixed with the word amateur. – John Lawler Jun 22 '14 at 1:02
Please note that stato- is a Greek prefix for standing/resting/not moving, so a 'statophile' might be a good, fancy word for a couch potato as well! – medica Jun 22 '14 at 2:13
Also keep in mind that -[o]holic tends to connote an overabundance of or an obsession with something bordering on dangerous (also addictions). – skeggse Jun 22 '14 at 3:24

The closest I can think of is a number-cruncher:

a person or thing that performs a great many numerical calculations, as a financial analyst, statistician, computer, or computer program.

More generic words for people who like math are nerd and geek or coined words like mathophile.

share|improve this answer

Quantophrenia n. Excessive reliance on or use of facts and figures that can be derived using statistical or mathematical procedures

share|improve this answer

I think this is a bit more specialised than what you’re asking, but in a business context, someone who focuses on analysing things numerically is a quant.

share|improve this answer

In UK slang: Statto!

enter image description here**

Angus Loughran... rose to fame as "Statto", the resident statistician on the BBC Two television show Fantasy Football League. Clad in a dressing gown and pyjamas, he would stand in the corner of the set and provide facts and figures on each of the guests' fantasy football teams, while being made fun of by hosts Frank Skinner and David Baddiel.

share|improve this answer
And an American equivalent is something like "stats geek." – Tom Au Jun 22 '14 at 22:43
@TomAu I think that's more an English language description than it is 'American slang'... – Ollie Ford Jun 22 '14 at 23:15
@OllieFord: I always think of nerd and geek as quite American words, but that might just be because I watched Saved by the Bell too much (i.e. at all) as a youth. “Boffin” was the equivalent UK term for “geek” or “nerd” in my school days. – Paul D. Waite Jun 22 '14 at 23:37
Haha, I haven't heard that since middle school (we have them in my area) when 'dweeb' was also popular. Different connotations though, I would suggest 'boffin' can be used similarly to '-buff'. – Ollie Ford Jun 23 '14 at 10:42

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.