English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there an adjective to describe an object (edit: e.g. a dog house or a headstone; the object is not necessarily a living thing) on the ground and underneath a tree? I thought of "treeside", but its meaning is obviously a bit different.

share|improve this question
I don't think so. You could use "shaded", but that doesn't specifically imply a tree. "Arboreal" means "relating to trees" but doesn't imply underneath. – Jacob Mattison Jun 18 '14 at 14:50
If there were, Desire Under the Elms might have had a different name. If you want a rhyming phrase instead, perhaps in the lee of a tree? – bib Jun 18 '14 at 14:59
I don't suppose "hypodendric" is a word? – Matt Gutting Jun 18 '14 at 15:39
that was a bit of a joke :-) hypo- is a Classical Greek prefix meaning "under"; -dendric is a hypothetical adjectival form from the Classical Greek dendron, meaning "tree": thus "under a tree." But it's not an actual English word. – Matt Gutting Jun 18 '14 at 15:55
There is "underwood" also for growing things under trees. – ermanen Jun 18 '14 at 17:08
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Bosky (literary) 1. Covered by bushes, shrubs or trees. 2. Shaded by trees or bushes.

Embower To cover with a bower; to shelter with trees. [Written also {imbower}.]

share|improve this answer

Subarboreal is pretty close in strict definition, and could be extended to being used simply as an adjective to describe something as being beneath a tree. It is normally used to describe a species of animal or plant.

def: living or thriving under trees

See also: arboreal (leaving in/among or relating to trees)

From Latin arbor (tree) -> arboreus (of trees) and sub (beneath)

share|improve this answer
I'll upvote the word for being on the right track, but I don't think it really satisfies his request. Living or thriving under trees is not the some as being under a tree. – Dave Magner Jun 18 '14 at 21:46

Try subarboreal. I don't see an entry for it at merriam-webster.com, but I see it used in at least one scientific paper with the meaning you have in mind.

There is also a link mentioning the word on the World English-Language Scrabble Players Association, whence I deduce (without checking) that it is in at least one officially-recognized Scrabble dictionary.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.