Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Why are these words spelled differently? They have the same sound at the end, right?

share|improve this question
Welcome katie! Please punctuate your sentences properly. Also, is this a real question, or just a rant? –  Jimi Oke Mar 24 '11 at 18:21
English is the perfect language, and I'll hear no more about it! ;) –  Matt E. Эллен Mar 24 '11 at 18:21
'Why isn't English more logical?' Both words are French, btw. -> etymonline.com/index.php?term=repartee / en.wiktionary.org/wiki/saut%C3%A9. –  Tiago Cardoso Mar 24 '11 at 18:28
@katie, I've edited your question to conform more closely to our site guidelines (which specifically forbid rants disguised as questions). Hope you don't mind. –  Marthaª Mar 24 '11 at 18:58
@katie: No worries :) It's usually pronounced re-par-TEE. re-par-TAY is not incorrect, only much, much less common, and only in American English, at that. –  Jimi Oke Mar 24 '11 at 19:46

2 Answers 2

First, they don't sound the same at the end: sauté ends with the same sound as play, clay, foray, ballet and parquet (for the last two: in their reference US pronunciation). Repartee rhymes with party and tee!

Onto the reasons: repartee comes from the French repartie (wit), which is pronunced the same (ends like party). Because it was adopted into English a long time ago (mid 17th century), its spelling has been anglicized: the accent on the é was dropped, and the spelling evolved to match the pronunciation (think: tee).

Sauté, on the other hand, was adopted into English in the 19th century, and kept its original spelling. In French, it is pronunced with an open "e" sound at the end1. The closest common sound in English is that of play and clay, so that's how it is pronunced.

1: Apparently, the sound [e] doesn't exist outside of diphthongs in English. It is how they pronunce bed in Australia, says Wikipedia, and cake or play in some US dialects. It's used a lot in French ("é") and Italian (“va bene!”).

share|improve this answer
[e] is also present in many Scottish dialects, among others. –  psmears Mar 24 '11 at 21:50
The French word is actually repartie, with no accent. From “repartir” (go again, hence bounce off), not “répartir” (divide into parts). –  Gilles Mar 25 '11 at 21:03
@Gilles: indeed, thanks! I've fixed the answer –  F'x Mar 25 '11 at 21:21
Not to nitpick, but to make something conform to English syntax or form is to "anglicize", not "Englicize". –  lotsoffreetime Mar 25 '11 at 21:28

Because repartee is derived from the French repartie. There is no such word as repartée in French.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.