English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've read 'Makeup technician' in some places, but I am looking for a single word.

'Aesthetician' and 'Cosmetologist' refer to persons who apply general aesthetic treatments, but I haven't found any words which refer specifically and exclusively to applying makeup.

share|improve this question
Regardless, legally, in the state of Maine, the person is called a cosmetologist, or with lesser experience esthetician: beautyschoolsdirectory.com/faq/license_me.php – Blessed Geek Jun 15 '14 at 5:23
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Visagiste An expert in facial make up. Kevyn Aucoin called himself a make-up artist

share|improve this answer

Makeup is today recognized as an evolved form of art, aesthetics and technology.

makeup artist

A make-up artist (or 'makeup artist') is an artist whose medium is the human body, applying makeup and prosthetics for theatrical, television, film, fashion, magazines and other similar productions including all aspects of the modeling industry.

Also referred to as: makeup designer, makeup creator, makeup technician, creative makeup designer

share|improve this answer
While this is the phrase that sprang to my mind when I read the question, the OP did mention they were looking for a single word. – Mr Lister Jun 15 '14 at 14:00
@MrLister - that begs the question if a word cannot contain spaces. I cannot think of good reasons why Kris' answer would have been acceptable if English had followed Dutch spelling rules and written it "makeupartist", but for one (or two) spaces the word is not a word any more?. – oerkelens Jun 15 '14 at 15:26
@oerkelens Or the German way of makeupartist or the camelCase style of makeupArtist for that matter. Well, however, in English a space is indeed a delimiter as of today. – Kris Jun 16 '14 at 13:03
@Kris - I guess it's more of a meta discussion indeed whether a concept like ice cream would qualify as an answer for a single-word request when someone is looking for something cold, usually sweet and edible. – oerkelens Jun 16 '14 at 14:18
There's a terminology tag that I had been interested in but rarely ever come by on ELU. I think the OP could use that instead. – Kris Jun 16 '14 at 14:22

A person in such an occupation is called a farder. (Look up the verb fard.)

share|improve this answer
Dictionaries say fard is archaic today. Farder on the other hand seems to be an "obsolete variant of farther." – Kris Jun 15 '14 at 12:53
If it is archaic, then how did it achieve that status, inasmuch as women have been employing makeup for millennia? Without an adequate replacement, why would a useful word suddenly become useless? – Senex Ægypti Parvi Jun 15 '14 at 16:14
Well, then, how about "upmaker?" Yes, my tongue is well thrust into my cheek. – Senex Ægypti Parvi Jun 15 '14 at 16:28
Some words survive, some don't. – Kris Jun 16 '14 at 13:05

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.