English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

You know the ones: association football player flailing on the ground in world-class screaming agony; yet the TV replay shows he was not even touched – and it's an Oscar performance bid. 60 seconds later he's up and running full speed and as effective as ever.

What is a phrase that captures the magnitude of the shamelessness and pathetic nature of this phenomenon?

Is there a phrase you know of that stands out as perfectly descriptive of this?

“Chutzpah” comes to mind.

share|improve this question

closed as primarily opinion-based by Kaz, choster, medica, Josh61, Janus Bahs Jacquet May 31 '14 at 9:22

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This is not a language-orientated response, but I'd like to see retrospective booking or even red-carding for these miraculously cured simulators. – Edwin Ashworth May 30 '14 at 21:01
In hockey the verb is to dive and those who do it are divers – Kate Gregory May 30 '14 at 21:09
@Kate: Used in soccer/football also. (See: Diving) – ermanen May 30 '14 at 21:11
@Kate: My understanding is Italians are the real past masters at this on the football pitch, so perhaps we should raid their vocabulary and go for divas. – FumbleFingers May 30 '14 at 21:12
What is funny is how slow motion replays have affected games where the all-time greats, were probably also great floppers. Basketball players are horrible in the US. Not only do they start falling before (fake) contact but they are cringing way too much too. It is funny to see a guy going up for a layup and then the guy in front slowly falling down while a few inches away. – RyeɃreḁd May 30 '14 at 21:19
up vote 3 down vote accepted

The most common term is flopper because they are flopping around like a fish.

You can also say that they are milking it.

I would say look at that guy flopping and flailing around like an idiot.

What a bull-shit artist (faker/dumbass).

And someone who is really obvious would be a ham (or hamming it up).

a bad actor who has an artificial style of performing

share|improve this answer
+1 for flopper. Didn't it start with basketball? Hmm this can be an origin/etymology question also. You might add diver to the answer as well. – ermanen May 30 '14 at 21:10
@ermanen - flopper has been used in sports a while. Maybe you should ask it. Someone would have to skewer newspaper feeds probably. Sounds Mark Twainish to me but I am sure it is older. – RyeɃreḁd May 30 '14 at 21:15
I was looking for something a bit more caustic, but this reminds me of the European Vlade Divac (”Floppy Dee-vats”) who imported that soccer style of fake foul to the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team some time ago. He would flop on the ground and give this huge performance and everyone in the stadium, players and referees alike, would just look down at him perplexed, like: ~“What on earth are you doing son? This isn't soccer.”~ – ipso May 30 '14 at 21:21
@ipso: So the term emerged in soccer and then it is adopted in basketball? I might ask a question about the origin of the term, you can answer if you know the details. – ermanen May 30 '14 at 21:25
I coached a 6th grader who was an average basketball player (well average on AAU team) but a master of getting the charge call. His team nickname was Floppy McFlopster or just Mcf in front of the refs. – RyeɃreḁd May 30 '14 at 21:25

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.