English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a verb that describes someone from the countryside (ie: new in town ) who tries to behave , dress and speak like its people to fit in and not be taken for a redneck ?

share|improve this question
Verbs don''t describe people; verbs describe feelings, intentions, and behaviors. If it's the behavior you're asking about, there is no verb that specifically refers to that -- it's an awfully precise concept, after all. But one can certainly describe it, as you did. – John Lawler May 30 '14 at 20:25
we need a verb to describe these 'one word insult' trolls. – Oldcat May 30 '14 at 21:16
@Oldcat: Why stop there? Shouldn't there be a word for the feeling of despair you get when reading the tenth question in one day asking for a single word to describe almost this very feeling, but when it's only the ninth one so far today? – FumbleFingers May 30 '14 at 22:22
Actually, I've got this nagging feeling that I once knew a word for exactly and only the feeling you get when you sit on the lavatory seat and it's still warm from the previous occupant. I'd dearly love to know if I really did, and if so what it was. – FumbleFingers May 30 '14 at 22:25
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The most apposite verb is acculturate, meaning "to assimilate a different culture".

You could also say that the country dweller conformed to the urban lifestyle, adopted metropolitan practices, or observed citified customs".

Here is an example:

The arriviste from Arkansas acculturated to his new urban surroundings.

share|improve this answer

You may use blend in:

He tried to blend in with the locals.

share|improve this answer
But can I use this verb in a sarcastic way like suppose I meet him then I say " I see that you're acclimatising " or maybe I am with a friend and want to slag off someone else & say " hey look he's acclimatising " or is there another word which may make this outta town guy not wanted & uncomfortable ? – Scratch2Win May 30 '14 at 20:21
@Scratch2Win: In most cases it would be pretty puerile to mock someone for making the effort to assimilate into a new cultural milieu, so I think English as a language is probably too "grown up" to provide such a word with specifically pejorative overtones. More generally, if you feel you must make such an observation, you might consider ingratiate, insinuate, get in with, suck up to, worm into etc. – FumbleFingers May 30 '14 at 22:16

There are a few ways to say this. The nice way would be to say he is trying to fit in.

Something that adds a little zing but isn't too bad is saying that he is conforming.

•(of a person) behave according to socially acceptable conventions or standards.

If the person is reluctant or was out of their realm then you can say they gave in or they were acquiescent.

to accept, comply, or submit tacitly or passively

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.