English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In Czech, we have a special word for "leaving a field (agricultural) without seeding, resting." I wonder if English has such a word.

share|improve this question
In the European Union bureaucracy, the modern word is set-aside, part of paying farmers not to grow things. – Henry Mar 22 '11 at 15:41
@Henry I didn't know you did that in Europe too. Though to be fair, letting fields lie fallow is a legitimate and necessary practice. – Yitzchak Mar 22 '11 at 16:31
up vote 13 down vote accepted

We do have it. The word is fallow.

You'll frequently see it used in the following phrase:

We let the field lie fallow.

Another possibility is uncultivated though that's probably less common.

share|improve this answer
I think there's a clear implication that a fallow field is [passively, temporarily] incorporated into an ongoing agricultural process, whereas an unculivated field might never have been farmed, and might not even be suitable in the first place. – FumbleFingers Mar 22 '11 at 14:54
@FumbleFingers - I mostly agree, with the small tweak I would suggest that fallow could also indicate a field that was previously farmed but is no longer part of an "ongoing agricultural process". E.g. The fields of my ancestors have lain fallow for generations. – Dusty Mar 22 '11 at 15:02
maybe that's how some (you, aty least) see it, but personally I think it's oxymoronic for a field to lie fallow for generations. I was taught at school that you rotate different types of crop over 3 years, then lie fallow for one year. To "fix" the nitrogen, or something, I disremember. – FumbleFingers Mar 22 '11 at 19:59
@FumbleFingers - I'm not sure what to tell you. Certainly its usage in crop rotation is common, but if you like I can provide several links to usage examples where fields were left fallow for many years. But I suppose that will only increase the some who believe like I do. – Dusty Mar 22 '11 at 23:52
we all collectively define our shared language, and in a case like this I'm not going to argue that I'm right and you're wrong. But I would just say that I don't think you could use the word about land never cultivated. Only previously- (or imminently intended to be) cultivated fields can be left fallow, with the implication that they will soon be put back to use. – FumbleFingers Mar 23 '11 at 0:30

In English, we speak of fields lying fallow.

From TheFreeOnlineDictionary:

fallow Plowed but left unseeded during a growing season

share|improve this answer

My farming in-laws, in the American mid-west, use the term "set aside ground" to refer to fields that are not planted, or planted with a nutrient restoring crop that is not harvested for profit.

share|improve this answer

The NOAD reports that fallow is an adjective meaning "(of farmland) plowed and harrowed but left unsown for a period in order to restore its fertility as part of a crop rotation or to avoid surplus production."

Other words with a similar meaning could be unplowed (unploughed in British English), untilled, resting, unsown, or bare.

share|improve this answer
The difference between fallow and the other words you give is that only fallow connotes intent while the others connote neglect, except for resting. By the way, I think you meant to write "fallow" not "follow." – Yitzchak Mar 22 '11 at 15:33

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.