English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm note sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but if I have a schematic illustration that contains numbers to enumerate interesting details. How do I refer those numbers in a text that describes this image? Is the following correct?

Figure 3.1 shows (...). It consists of a diffuser (1) that is used (...).

Here point 1 would indicate the diffuser on the illustration. Are there any other ways to refer?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

This would seem the most obvious and clear way of referring to details in a picture. I can't think of any better way. I'd do it just like that (1). If you're afraid readers might confuse details with picture numbers, you could use letters (A) or Roman numerals (I) for details instead.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.