English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I just had a nasty hiccup attack, and I want to know if there's a synonym for this nasty phenomena.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by ermanen, Josh61, medica, Kristina Lopez, tchrist May 24 '14 at 13:49

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions that can be answered using commonly-available references are off-topic. A list of these references can be found here: List of general references" – ermanen, Josh61, medica, Kristina Lopez, tchrist
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Hiccough. Diaphragm spasm fit. – Andy May 23 '14 at 19:24
Being drunk in a cartoon. – Andy May 23 '14 at 19:24
Diaphragm spasm fit sounds brilliant, @Andy but is there a single word to describe this fit... (and, yeah, I can totally imagine that drunk scene with this diaphragm spasm fit, especially in Tom and Jerry) – Calypto May 23 '14 at 19:29
.@Calypto that's why I said it as a comment, not an answer :) – Andy May 23 '14 at 19:30
@Andy I think 'A spasmodic contraction of the diaphragm' is the full medical description. The worst-ev er attack lasted for 68 years. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Osborne_(hiccups) – WS2 May 23 '14 at 20:23
up vote 4 down vote accepted

If you don't mind medical jargon, a singultus episode (pron. \siŋ-ˈgəl-təs\ ) is synonymous with the colloquial phrase hiccup attack.

share|improve this answer
I guess I will have to do with this singultus since that's the concluding answer. But, frankly, the best synonym turned out to be a phrase by Andy - Diaphragm Spasm Fit. – Calypto May 23 '14 at 19:42

Singultus is the medical term for a bout of the hiccups.

share|improve this answer


To hiccough. [Written also yox, yux.] [Obs. or Prov. Eng.]

He yexeth and he speaketh through the nose. --Chaucer...."The excessive yex." --Holland.

share|improve this answer
You don't read Chaucer? ;-) – Third News May 23 '14 at 20:14
Great. @ThirdNews – Calypto May 23 '14 at 20:21

"Belching" would be a close to.

share|improve this answer
Yeah, "periodical belching" could definitely be considered. – Calypto May 24 '14 at 13:49

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.