Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can someone explain how to classify a sequence like -ump in morphemics? Even though it is neither inflectional, grammatical, nor unbound, this meaningful particle can become distributed into a series of rhyming lexemes very similar in meaning, only for the difference in their substance. Consider:

lump, clump, thump, bump, slump.... just to name a few.
What are these called?

(It's for a research project I'm doing on onomatopoeia) Thanks!

share|improve this question
Why did you post the same question an hour later? –  Barmar May 17 at 10:04
Barmar, because, I wasn't a "member" of Stackexchange yet, so when I went to get myself a username and password, it looked like it disappeared. –  Karuda May 19 at 19:17

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.