English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm referring to this:

enter image description here

enter image description here

(I thought of pre-boarding platform or waiting area though I'm not very sure if I'm correct).

share|improve this question
Observation Deck is the usual I believe. – Frank May 14 '14 at 12:47
Some airports have areas like these available for non-passengers as well, so I would certainly not refer to it in a way that implies it is always linked to boarding or waiting for a flight :) – oerkelens May 14 '14 at 13:12
It is the window of the waiting area. – ermanen May 14 '14 at 14:30
The question and the pictures can be interpreted differently. The pictures you put seems like just waiting areas with windows. But there can be specifically designed observation lounges or decks also to watch the planes. – ermanen May 14 '14 at 15:37

It is known by many names.

There is no standard, although the most common one is viewing area.

share|improve this answer
Are we talking about the general public, or only passengers and staff who have been cleared through security? I would think that airports and airlines would be nervous about letting unscreened people close to airliners, so are all of these only for screened passengers' use? – Phil Perry May 14 '14 at 14:13
@PhilPerry Close? No. These aren't really close to any airplanes. And these are used to describe the area, whether or not they're for public or passenger use is down to the individual airport. There are some airports that have a Passenger Viewing Area and a Public Viewing Area. – Tucker May 14 '14 at 14:41

They are called view platforms if they are on top , often in the open air, but often they are simply part of the waiting area inside the airport like in your pictures.

share|improve this answer


We observe something standing at Observation area.

share|improve this answer
You're missing an article there, bud. – Tucker May 14 '14 at 13:40

It is called "observation room".

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.