English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Tina: I had a strange dream last night.
Jack: Well, dreams are always strange. I've never had an absolutely "normal" dream. So what did you dream about?
Tina: I dreamed about a skyscraper devouring a small "Starbucks"

What do you call a single part of a dialogue that is spoken by one person? (There are three such parts written here: The first and the last one are spoken by Tina, and the middle one is by Jack.)

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

In acting, these are called lines

lines the words of an actor's part in a play or film. [NOAD]

Normally these are used in plural, but can be used to refer to a single line of dialogue.

share|improve this answer
Hmm... what if Jack proceeded to perform a monologue? Would it still be called a line if it went over to the next page of the script? (I have no idea myself.) – Cerberus Mar 19 '11 at 12:53
It would still be his lines, but would be specifically referred to as a soliloquy in that case. – Robusto Mar 19 '11 at 12:57
OK noted. I couldn't think of anything else either. – Cerberus Mar 19 '11 at 13:06

You can say lines, in the sense of “the words of an actor's part in a play or film”. Example of use:

the problem with Jack is that, in the love scene with Rob, he couldn't say (or deliver) his lines with enough passion

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.