English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My Longman dictionary states that the comparative of 'shy' is 'shyer'. However, at least two online dictionaries also give the form 'shier' as being acceptable: The Free Dictionary and Merriam-Webster. On an English language forum I came across a reference to British (shyer) vs. American (shier) spelling. But an Ngram chart shows that even in American English 'shyer' is much more used.

My problem is that I've been told that it is definitely wrong, but if it's in dictionaries then... has there been a change to what is wrong?

P.S.: Google Ngram link

share|improve this question
How about books.google.com/ngrams/… – mplungjan May 7 '14 at 8:54
Also en.wiktionary.org/wiki/shyer has shier as alternative, whereas en.wiktionary.org/wiki/shier does not have shyer as alternative... British vs US spelling? – mplungjan May 7 '14 at 8:56
The most common American spelling is shyer as well; shier is a rarely used alternative. – Peter Shor May 7 '14 at 10:52
See also this answer, which deals (in some detail) with the spelling variation of word-final -y/-ie when suffixes are added to the base word. – Janus Bahs Jacquet May 7 '14 at 22:29
Do you say "dryer" or "drier"? – Joe Z. May 8 '14 at 1:39
up vote 4 down vote accepted

"shyer" or "shier"?

Both versions are acceptable in today's standard English.

In the 2002 CGEL page 1581:

Monosyllabic dry and shy are optionally exceptions to the y-replacement rule, allowing either y or i before the suffix: dry ~ dryer/drier ~ dryest/driest and shy ~ shyer/shier ~ shyest/shiest.

Note that CGEL is the 2002 reference grammar by Huddleston and Pullum et al., The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language (CGEL).

share|improve this answer

Dictionaries do indeed allow both spellings shier and shyer. However, the spellings are not pleasant to the eye. I tend to avoid them by substituting another adjective, such as bashful.

share|improve this answer

Both are acceptable in the U.S., however "shier" is the preferred spelling in American English and "shyer" is the proper spelling in the Queen's English.

share|improve this answer
@F.E.: Thanks for explaining CGEL. I have seen a reference to it many times, and wondered what it is. – Brian Hitchcock Jan 25 '15 at 0:34
If you actually look at usage, there is virtually no difference between the U.K. and the U.S. for these. – Peter Shor Jan 1 at 13:51

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.